A year ago, I unsubscribed from print delivery of Yellowbook’s yellow pages directory. I haven’t used it for years, and decided it was time to cut off the distribution of this piece of marketing waste.
A quick phone call removed me from the list. Or so I thought. In reality, Yellowbook spammed my house with yet another yellow pages directory after I specifically asked to be removed (which they politely acknowledged last year).
I decided to return my piece of spam to Yellowbook’s local office at 1210 Northland Drive in Mendota Heights, MN. On the way there, I noticed that some of my neighbors hadn’t bothered to remove the spam from their steps yet, so I swept up what I saw along 45th Ave S. Later in the day, I did the same on 42nd Ave S and made a second trip to Yellowbook’s offices with the bonus stash of print spam.
In total, I found 102 books that hadn’t been picked up days after being delivered to the neighborhood. Those books were found in 22 blocks worth of streets. It looks like there are around 28 homes per block, so ~616 homes. So on those blocks, 16% of the Yellowbook books ended up back in Mendota Heights. The other 84% were either brought directly to the recycling bin, thrown in the trash, actually put to use, or maybe Yellowbook honored their opt-out list in some cases? Either way, the chances of finding a home that depends on Yellowbook’s printed yellow pages directories for local business information is probably pretty slim. Keep in mind that Yellowbook is one of three print yellow pages companies that carpet bomb Minneapolis every year (Qwest Dex & Verizon Superpages being the other two).
Local advertiser: Let this sink in a bit. Do you realize that you’re paying for the printing, delivery, and disposal (through tax dollars) of Yellowbook print directories delivered to those who’ve specifically requested to no longer receive them?
Yellow pages companies claim that they’re capable of treating local advertisers and consumers with respect by creating and honoring do-not-distribute lists. This is just one more example illustrating how incompetent they really are.