My previous post covered how to get a story you wrote linked to from MNSpeak. This post looks at how to maximize the amount of traffic you’ll receive from that link through a combination of timing and engagement.
As I mentioned before, getting linked early in the day is key to getting a lot of traffic. Here’s my theory on how to pull that off.
1. Follow the 10 steps listed in the previous post.
2. Post between 7-10pm. Why? Because Max will probably see your post that night when he’s looking for Local Blogging links for the next day. Some blogging platforms like WordPress allow you to schedule posts so that could help you hit the sweet spot for post times.
3. Post them between Sunday and Wednesday – For timeless posts (non-news breaking stuff) this is when you’ll get the biggest bang for your buck.
4. Post news fast. It’s news, right? For timely posts such as news, get them up as fast as you can.
5. Join the conversation on MNSpeak. No matter what you’re written about, some people will love it, some will hate it, and some will hate you personally. Joining the conversation on MNSpeak helps keep the conversation going, which leads to more comments, which leads to more people taking an interest in the thread and clicking on your linked story. 85% of the traffic The Deets receives from MNSpeak comes from the homepage rather than links from individual post pages. People click on stories that appear to be interesting then return to MNSpeak to discuss the topic.