The Other Mike found a story on Biking Bis where they explained that 40% of commuting is done within 2 miles of home. With that in mind, why not try using something other than a car for such short trips?
Before committing to it, I decided to figure out what 2-miles from my house looks like on a map, and here that is:
After making my map on Map24.com, I realized that it’s easier to do on the 2 Mile Challenge website.
Here’s what I’m seeing:
– Groceries: I can bike to Cub, Rainbow, and the Seward Coop. Lunds in Highland is just past 2 miles.
– Dining: There are at least 50 restaurants within 2-miles of my house.
– Desert: There are at least 4 ice cream shops, including 2 Dairy Queens, Izzy’s, and that place on Franklin in Seward.
– Caffeine: There are probably a dozen coffee shops in this 2-mile radius.
– Hardware Stores: There are stores on Lake, Franklin, Minnehaha (pretty sure that’s still there), Grand Ave, and a Menard’s on University Ave.
And this falls within a no sweat, no special clothes, just roll distance. That’s workable.