If you have a Treo, it probably goes everywhere with you, right? Why not carry your music and podcasts with you by taking advantage of the phone??????s storage capabilities?
Here is how it??????s done:
1. SD Card: Treo 600 and 650 models (and reportedly, the yet to be released Treo 700 as well) have an SD Card slot. If you have an SD Card today, pop it out to check the size.
This is a 1GB SD Card.
This will determine how many songs you can store. An average song takes between 3-4MB of memory, so here??????s an estimate of how many songs you can store based on the size of your SD card:
|SD Card Size||Songs You Can Store|
2. SD Card Reader: Unfortunately, you can??????t sync songs from your computer to your Treo phone??????s SD card using Hotsync. Instead, you??????ll need an SD card reader, like this one:
Stick your SD card into the reader then plug the reader into your computer. Drag your favorite songs or podcasts onto the SD card. If you have a Windows computer, the drive will likely appear as a new drive in Windows Explorer. If your computer is very new, it may have an SD card slot built in, allowing you to skip the external card reader.
3. Put your SD card back in your Treo.
4. Play the songs. Treo 650 phones come with RealPlayer pre-installed. Click on that application (you may need to change your menu??????s display to ALL to find it). Treo 600 phones don??????t have an MP3 player installed by default. If you don??????t have one, check out Pocket Tunes.
5. Using Realplayer or Pocket Tunes (actual steps vary slightly for each program): Click Open, then select your SD card from the dropdown box on the upper-right hand corner of the screen. You should be able to see your songs. Click on the songs you??????d like to play. Click OK.
6. Using headphones. While the Treo has a speaker, it??????s not exactly Bose quality. Headphones will offer better quality, but there??????s a catch: Treo??????s do not have a normal headphone jack. You??????ll need to pick up this 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter:
Plug this into your Treo, and your favorite headphones into this.
7. Playing Treo tunes on your car stereo system. If you have a tape deck in your car you can use your car??????s stereo to play the songs stored on your Treo. Just pick up a tape adapter like the one below:
If you have a tape adapter lying around your house from your portable CD player days, you??????ll still need the jack adapter from step 6 to make it work with your Treo, but that??????s cheaper than buying the entire adapter.
You??????re done. You have now made your Treo even more useful and entertaining.
Post questions or comments below.