Sadly, a first time commenter on The Deets yesterday commented under a fake name that was a close impersonation of another local community member. I was duped.
Another commenter brought the issue to my attention. Thank you.
This sort of thing bums me out. Why would someone think it’s okay to impersonate someone else in the comments of this site? Do they behave like that in the real world? I’m picturing someone wearing a mask to a party to pretend to be someone they’re not. Kind of silly, isn’t it?
I’ve chosen to address this by removing the two comments from the blog post’s comment thread, but linking to screenshots of the comments.
Looking back on this, it’s clear that this is an impersonator.
1. The person writing the comments posted from an IP address in Ottawa (they’re not necessarily in Ottawa, but are likely pretending to be).
2. The domain name used for their email address is for a parked doman.
3. That domain is registered to a company in London.
4. The person the commenter is impersonating has Minneapolis connections but is currently in Georgia.
5. The commenter didn’t spell his/her name consistently from one comment to the next.
Clearly, I could have picked up on this if I had vetted this first time commenter a bit harder. The person being impersonated shouldn’t have to deal with that type of behavior. I certainly don’t want to accommodate it. Sorry about that.