Here are a few advanced searches that are incredibly valuable:
1. “quoting phrases” will search for the words within the quote in only that order. This is especially valuable when searching for people.
2. Searching within a site: site:technologyevangelist.com twitter brings back pages from this site that include the term “twitter”
3. -negatives Throw a minus sign in front of a word to filter out results including that term. Say, you’re interested in the Olympics, but not gymnastics, diving, or equestrian. No problem: olympics -gymnastics -diving -equestrian
4. Top level domains: Want to find out what government agencies are saying about global warming? Try this: site:gov “global warming”
5. Google Alerts: Take searches that interest you and track them using Google Alerts. Whenever Google discovers something new on the web matching your search criteria they’ll email it to you.
What would you add?